Marriage venue licensing

Applying to license a venue

The licence to hold civil marriages and civil partnership ceremonies is valid for three years from the date of issue.

There are statutory requirements and conditions applied to these licences.

Your venue will need to have a ceremony room and a designated room for the registrar to interview couples prior to their ceremony.

To apply for a licence, please read our: guidance notes [331.6 KB] [pdf] and send us a completed: application form [268.0 KB] [doc] with:

  • 3 copies of a plan of the premises clearly showing which room (or rooms) you wish to license and a designated interview room
  • room plans
  • a cheque for your fees made payable to ‘East Sussex County Council’ (Or email the: Registrar to arrange BACS payment)
  • a copy of your
    - public liability insurance
    - fire risk assessment
    - other relevant risk assessments
    - other supporting documents

Email the: Registrar for advice and further information to help you through the application process.

Once you have your licence, we will work with you to help make your approved venue successful.

Related content

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.