Registering a birth
You should make arrangements to register as soon as possible after the birth.
Your registration interview will be by telephone
- The registrar will call you on the phone number you provide when you book your appointment.
- This call may come from a ‘withheld’ or ‘unknown’ number.
- Although we will try to call you at the appointment time, we may call up to 30 minutes before or after the arranged time.
- If you miss your call, the registrar will try again up to 3 times.
- If something happens which prevents you from being able to answer, or you need to change your appointment, call us on 0345 60 80 198.
- The registrar will arrange a time for you to visit the Register Office, to 'Check and Sign' the register page.
Your 'Check and Sign' appointment
- Your appointment to sign the register will take place with social distancing measures in place.
- You will need to bring a blue or black biro/ball point pen to sign with.
We require all visitors to our Register Offices to continue to wear a face covering in public areas and ceremony rooms (unless exempt).
Order birth certificates online, after the page is signed.
Child Benefit and Universal Credit
You can currently make a claim for these benefits before registering the birth:
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.