Registering a birth
Where to register a birth
Babies born in East Sussex
(excludes Brighton & Hove)
- your registration appointment will be by telephone
- during your telephone appointment, the registrar will arrange a time for you to visit one of our: Register Offices, to check and sign the register page
- your appointment to sign the register will take place either in the car park or at the doors to the register office (dependent on site facilities)
- in line with Government guidelines (gov.uk), face coverings must be worn by all visitors to our Register Offices. You may be asked to temporarily remove your face covering for identification purposes
- you will need to bring a blue or black biro and or ball point pen to sign with
- order birth certificates online after the page is signed
Babies born elsewhere
The birth should be registered by the registrar for the district where the birth took place. Search for a Register Office (gov.uk)
Brighton & Hove
- Residents of East Sussex who gave birth in Brighton & Hove can: book online to register at the: Lewes Register Office.
Residents of Brighton & Hove who gave birth outside of East Sussex County Council’s administrative area cannot register at East Sussex register offices.
- Residents of East Sussex who gave birth in West Sussex can: book online to register at the: Lewes Register Office, or the: Crowborough Register Office.
Residents of West Sussex who gave birth outside of East Sussex County Council’s administrative area cannot register at East Sussex register offices.
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.