Government support for isolating on low-incomes
You might be able to get a payment of £500 if either:
- you have been told to self-isolate because of coronavirus (COVID-19) and you cannot work from home
- you’re the parent or guardian of a child who has been told to self-isolate and you need to take time off to look after them
People looking to apply for the payment will have to meet all of these criteria:
- you are receiving a benefit such as:
- Universal Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- income-based Employment and Support Allowance
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income Support
- Housing Benefit
- Pension Credit
- you have a job or are self-employed
- you are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
- you or your child have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or a educational/childcare setting – both because you or they have tested positive or someone you/they are in close contact with has
Parents and guardians of a child who needs to isolate
In addition to the above:
- You are the parent or guardian of a child or young person in the same household and you need to take time off work to care for them while they self-isolate. This is limited to one parent or guardian per household for the child or young person’s self-isolation period.
- You cannot work from home while undertaking caring responsibilities and will lose income as a result.
- Your child or young person is aged 15 or under, or 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC), and normally attends an education or childcare setting.
The payment should not affect any benefits you are receiving, or statutory sick pay.
How do I apply for the payment?
The payment will be made in 1 lump sum and will be subject to Income Tax.
In order to apply residents will need to provide the following evidence:
- notification from NHS Test and Trace asking you to self-isolate (including your unique ID number)
- bank statement
- proof of employment, or if you are self-employed, self-employment assessment returns, trading income and proof that you cannot work from home and will lose income as a result
For more details and to apply, visit your district or borough council’s website.