Apply to run council services
Apply to run Council services – the Community Right to Challenge
Community groups can express an interest in running Council services through the ‘Community Right to Challenge’. This is part of the Government’s plan to shift power back to communities, set out in the Localism Act.
The Community Right to Challenge is just one way you can tell us about any ideas you may have about running our services. You can also:
The My Community Rights website gives more information about the Community Right to Challenge as well as lots of help and advice if you have an idea:
Who can apply?
Relevant bodies that are eligible to express an interest include:
- voluntary and community bodies
- parish council's
- council employees
How it works
There are three key stages:
- you express an interest in running a council service
- we assess your expression of interest then decide whether to accept, modify or reject it
- if we accept your expression of interest, we’ll start a procurement process where you can make a formal bid to run the service. During the procurement process, other organisations will also have the chance to bid to run the service. For more information about how this works, please see: doing business with us
You can get more information on the process and timescales for the three stages in the guidance document below.
How to express an interest
If you have an idea for an expression of interest, please contact us to confirm when you should submit your challenge. This will vary from case to case as existing contracts may be in place for the relevant service which will determine when we are able to consider your expression of interest.
The expression of interest form and supporting guidance document are available now to help you understand the requirements:
- Guidance on completing an expression of interest form [73.8 KB] [pdf]
- Expression of interest form [184.0 KB] [doc]
You can use the links below to help you through the process, please get in touch if you have any enquiries.
- My Community Rights – a step by step guide:
Advice for relevant bodies including step by step guidance and a spreadsheet to help you assess if you are ready to submit an expression of interest.
- Process and timetable [86.0 KB] [doc]
Specific dates and flowchart showing the Community Right to Challenge process.
If you have an idea and would like to get involved, then please contact us about the: