Help with your housing and staying in your own home
There are services to help you if you are:
- at risk of losing your home for reasons such as domestic abuse, relationship breakdown or health issues
- already homeless or living in a bed and breakfast or hostel
- living in poor quality or unsuitable accommodation
This includes help to manage your housing issues – from debts and benefits, repairs, landlords and neighbours – to getting support to manage your mental health or substance misuse.
Don’t put it off – it is never too soon to ask for help.
- STEPS to stay independent is a free and confidential housing support service for people aged 60 or over.
- Home Works is a free and confidential housing support service for people aged 16 to 59.
Both services offer short term advice and support to help you:
- look into more suitable accommodation
- deal with tenancy and mortgage worries
- keep warm and reduce energy bills
- ensure your home is safe
- manage household bills and debts
- obtain daily living equipment
How to contact STEPS
If you live in Eastbourne, Lewes or Wealden, contact STEPS West:
Phone: 01323 436 414
Text: 0797 066 8106
If you live in Hastings or Rother, contact STEPS East:
Phone: 0300 123 2422 (local rate)
Text: 0794 414 0016
You can find more information about STEPS on our directory, East Sussex 1Space
How to contact Home Works
Home Works accepts referrals from professionals working in:
- Adult Social Care, including Health and Social Care Connect
- Children’s Services
- local housing authorities’ Housing Options teams
The referral form and more information about the service is on their website: Home Works