Town and village greens
How to apply
Applications go through a three-stage process:
If you wish to register land as a village green, please first visit the Defra website. This includes guidance notes and an application form to download – the ‘Town and Village Green Registration Application form’:
You also will need to supply the following documents:
1. A map showing the boundaries of the proposed village green.
2. A map outlining the area that local users of the land come from.
3. A completed Statutory Declaration. This is included in the Defra form above, and must be witnessed by a solicitor or magistrate.
4. Evidence forms or letters of support from residents. These describe when and how residents use this land – please download and print copies for each resident supporting the application. They should all be submitted together by the person organising the application:
- Download the evidence form [265.0 KB] [doc]
5. Return all completed documentation to:
Rights of Way Team
East Sussex County Council
St Anne’s Crescent
East Sussex BN7 1UE
If you have any queries regarding your application please email the Rights of Way team, or telephone: 0345 6080 193.
Once we receive your application, it is publicised and a period for people to comment on the application is opened. It may be necessary to hold a hearing to determine your application. The person hearing the matter will then write a report and recommend whether or not the land should be registered as a village green.
A Panel of County Councillors with special responsibility for these applications – the Commons and Village Green Registration Panel – has the final say about whether or not village green status is granted. They consider the report then write to all parties concerned to confirm the final decision.