Home education

Parents are legally responsible for ensuring a full-time, suitable education. This can be at school or at home. Elective home education can be a rewarding and positive experience. Before you decide, consider factors like the time needed to deliver a full-time education, and the possible costs.

If you are unhappy with your child’s school, do contact them in the first instance to discuss any issues.

If your child has special educational needs, contact Amaze SENDIASS for advice.

Choosing to home educate

You need to write to the head teacher saying you are taking your child out of school and will be taking full responsibility for their education. Include the date this will start, and your signature.

The school will inform us so that we can offer advice and support. We also offer monthly drop-ins at four locations across East Sussex. These are for people who are considering home education or need advice. You do not have to give your name or details when attending a drop-in.

We will offer a home visit if we feel you would benefit from additional support, or if your child is in year 11.

If your child is at a special school and you are considering elective home education, talk to the school. Your child must stay on the roll of the school until the local authority can discuss it with you and make a decision.

Already home educating or child not starting primary school

Contact us for advice and guidance which might include:

  • teaching materials
  • Special Educational Needs
  • post 16 advice
  • local support groups
  • returning to school

Contact us:

  • Elective Home Education Parent Pack March 2021(opens new window) (Word, 11294k) <-- to be made accessible

Elective Home Education Policy and Procedure

Full details of our Elective Home Education (EHE) Policy and Procedure can be read here:

  • East Sussex County Council Elective Home Education Policy and Procedure(opens new window) (Word, 267k) <-- to be made accessible

Removing a pupil from a school roll

Off-rolling is the practice of removing a pupil from a school roll without using a permanent exclusion.

Independent schools

  • Off-roll form for independent schools(opens new window) (Word, 20k) <-- to be made accessible

Processes for off-rolling all children with Education Health and Care Plans (EHCP)

  • EHE Off Roll from Special School(opens new window) (Adobe PDF, 63k)
  • EHE Off Roll from Mainstream or Facility with EHCP(opens new window) (Adobe PDF, 60k)
  • EHE Off Roll with EHCP(opens new window) (Adobe PDF, 61k) <-- to be made accessible X3

Related content