1. Home
  2. Education
  3. Going to school
  4. School transport
  5. Special educational needs and disability (SEND): school and college transport
  6. Information for those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND): who are receiving free transport

Information for those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND): who are receiving free transport

We normally provide shared vehicles. This could be a taxi or minibus depending on the number of people being transported. Occasionally we provide a separate taxi for those with complex needs or if there is no alternative. We make the best use of our vehicles so we cannot provide a choice of who a taxi or minibus is shared with. We think carefully about the needs of everyone we transport to ensure their safety and wellbeing and may make changes if issues arise.

We risk assess everyone that we transport and review their individual needs. If your child needs to travel in a wheelchair, we shall provide an adapted vehicle. We do not provide a passenger assistant on all vehicles. If there is evidence that a passenger assistant is required we shall provide one.

Further information about the travel arrangements

We will contact you to confirm where and when we will be picking up and dropping off the child or young adult. This is usually the home address but we may ask for pick up and collection from another location or for parents or carers to assist with parts of a journey.

Make sure the child or young adult is ready at the agreed time. The vehicle ca not wait for more than five minutes after the pick up time. It is necessary for every child being transported to be brought to the vehicle and collected from the vehicle. If no one is there to collect the child we shall take them to a safe place and their parents or carers will need to get them home.

What to do if there are any issues or changes to arrangements

Contact the transport company if your child or young adult cannot go to school for any reason. We will ensure that you have all the contact details that you need before the transport arrangements start.

If you have any other issues that the transport company cannot resolve, contact the Specialist Contract Team.

What we cannot provide

We provide transport between home and school at the beginning and end of the normal school day.

This does not include transport to attend:

  • breakfast or after school clubs
  • parents evening or taster days
  • fixed term exclusions
  • school or educational trips
  • medical appointments
  • work experience
  • off-site educational placements
  • late start or early finish due to exams

Your child may attend a residential school and qualify for travel assistance. If this is the case, you will usually only get help at the start and end of each half-term or each week depending on the boarding arrangements. We do not provide transport at other times or for parental visits for meetings.

Let us know if circumstances change

You will need to make a new application if the child or young adult moves house or changes school or college. To qualify for travel assistance, they must be attending the nearest suitable school or college. If they move further away from school they may no longer qualify. Use the application form to let us know of any changes.
Apply for travel assistance application form

For further support or if you have a question, speak with your special educational needs (SEN) caseworker, contact us:

Related content

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.