About trading standards
Trading Standards protects consumers and traders in East Sussex (excluding Brighton & Hove). To do this we:
- enforce government legislation
- offer advice to businesses and consumers
- provide licences and inspections for businesses
- investigate offences and prosecute offenders.
Under a National Government initiative, consumer and general business advice is provided by fully trained staff at the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on behalf of Trading Standards.
Their helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm – contact them on 0808 223 1133 or by email using their online form.
Some of the areas we are responsible for include:
- advertising and description of goods or services
- safety of consumer goods
- estate agents
- food labelling, inspections and sampling
- weights and measures equipment, including weighbridges
- hallmarking and counterfeit goods
- animal health
- petroleum storage certificates
- underage sales.
Read about how we enforce the law and our food legislation responsibilities: