Apply to be a library volunteer
Volunteers are a valued and central part of East Sussex Libraries. Volunteering allows you to meet new people, learn new skills and give something back to your community.
There are lots of different volunteering roles in our local libraries:
- Bookends bookshop volunteer – serving customers and managing stock at the bookshop in Eastbourne Library.
- Code Club volunteer mentor – helping children to learn computer coding in a library setting.
- Computer buddy – helping people to use computers in the library.
- Family history volunteer – a great opportunity for a family history expert to share their skills and knowledge with library customers.
- Home library service volunteer – choosing, packing and delivering library materials to people who are unable to get to a library easily.
- IT for You trainer – helping customers to learn basic IT skills to improve their access to services and employment.
- Library customer support volunteer – providing a warm welcome to all customers, guiding them to the correct area of the library, signposting to appropriate services and helping with self-service machines and photocopying when required. This role is available at Eastbourne Library and Hastings Library.
- Rhymetime and Storytime volunteer – leading Rhymetime and Storytime sessions for babies, toddlers and their parents/carers in the library on a regular basis
- Summer Reading Challenge volunteer- this aim of this role is to encourage children to enrol in the Summer Reading challenge