Registering a birth
Where to register a birth
Babies born in East Sussex (excluding Brighton & Hove)
- We require all visitors to our Register Offices to continue to wear a face covering in public areas and ceremony rooms (unless exempt)
- You will need to bring a blue or black biro and or ball point pen to sign with
- Order birth certificates online after the page is signed
Babies born elsewhere
The birth should be registered by the registrar for the district where the birth took place. Search for a Register Office (gov.uk)
Babies born in Brighton & Hove
- Residents of East Sussex who gave birth in Brighton & Hove can book online to register at the Lewes Register Office.
Residents of Brighton & Hove who gave birth in Brighton and Hove City Council’s administrative area cannot register at East Sussex register offices.
Babies born in West Sussex
- Residents of East Sussex who gave birth in West Sussex can book online to register at the Lewes Register Office, or the Crowborough Register Office.
Residents of West Sussex who gave birth in West Sussex County Council’s administrative area cannot register at East Sussex register offices.
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.