Can my venue be licensed?

Legally recognised outdoor ceremonies are temporarily permitted in some circumstances until 5 April 2022.

Outdoor ceremonies guide.

If you manage or own a venue, you can apply for a licence to hold marriage and civil partnership ceremonies.

Civil marriages and civil partnerships must take place in a permanent structure that is open to the public and non-religious in nature. This may include:

  • restaurants and public houses
  • hotels
  • museums and galleries
  • theatres and cinemas
  • stately homes and castles
  • tourist attractions

Many couples are looking for a wedding venue with a difference, your venue could be just the thing they are after. If you are not sure, email the Registrar.

Registration services logo

Related content

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.