Lewes household waste recycling site
The site is open as follows:
Monday to Sunday: 9am to 4pm
Bank Holidays: Open usual hours (closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day)
Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve: Close at 1pm
What you can bring
- The site accepts household waste from residents own homes in East Sussex.
- Trade/business waste is not accepted.
- You do not need to book a visit in advance.
- Hardcore and soil are accepted at this site and will be charged for.
- Tyres are accepted at this site and will be charged for. Only 4 tyres are accepted per calendar month, per household.
- Any one who does not pay the charges on site will be invoiced the disposal plus administration costs via Sussex Police's Operation Crackdown vehicle tracing scheme.
- Vans are only permitted on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Van drivers must bring photo ID (for example a driving licence, valid passport or work ID) and one other form of ID such as a recent utility or Council Tax bill that contains your home address.
- Vehicle height barrier of 2 metres (6 feet, 6 inches). Barrier will only be opened for household waste brought in taller vehicles, provided they meet the other site requirements, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only. The only exception is for Blue badge holders with taller vehicles who will be permitted entrance on any day, provided they meet the other site requirements and are able to show their Blue badge.
- Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 3500kg or above are not permitted. No vehicles with Luton, flatbed or tipper bodies.
- Trailers must be no more than 1.8 metres (6 feet) in length, not including the tow bar.
- No pedestrian access.
- Cyclists should dismount before entering the site via the main entrance.
- Large heavy bags like tonne bags or hippo bags are not permitted. Please use smaller bags which you can lift safely. If residents do arrive with large heavy bags, they must be left inside the vehicle and you must decant the material into smaller containers (available on site) and carry to the correct waste skip. Staff will not be able to help residents unload.
- Small amounts of DIY type waste will be accepted (but some are charged for). Residents should hire a skip for larger amounts.
- Small amounts of household chemicals will be accepted in sealed and clearly labelled containers.
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.