Blue Badge application process
You can apply online for a Blue Badge for yourself, someone else or an organisation.
Before you apply, check if you are eligible for a Blue Badge.
What you will need to provide
You need to know your National Insurance number.
You'll need to provide the following:
- One recent passport size photo (taken in the last 3 months) showing your head and shoulders. This should measure 3.5cm wide x 4.5cm high on a plain white background.
- A copy of a document proving your identity (passport, driving licence, birth or adoption certificate, marriage / civil partnership or divorce certificate)
- A copy of a document proving your current address (less than 12 months old). This can be a hospital letter or utility bill. Mobile phone bills are not accepted.
- Proof of benefits that automatically qualify you for a Blue Badge. This must show all pages of your benefit letter, including the breakdown of points and not just the first page.
- Current medical evidence which indicates that the condition affects the walking part of any journey you undertake. This must be from a health care professional who is involved in your care or treatment. Examples include: diagnosis letters, care plans, patient summaries, Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans or proof of disability benefits.
- Payment of £10 by cheque, postal order or online. If you wish to pay online, please ensure you provide a valid email address for us to contact you.
How to pay
We'll contact you if your application is successful. You can choose to pay for your badge online or by cheque / postal order.
How to send us your documents
Please send us all your supporting documents within 14 days or your application will be cancelled. It is quicker to send us documents online.
If you are applying online, you can add digital photos or scans of your documents to the application.
If you’ve already applied and know your application number, you can submit missing documents and your photo online by using our digital assistant. This automated service is available 24 hours a day, on the right-hand side of this website page, if you say yes to cookies for communications and marketing - check your cookie settings.
Copies of your documents can be posted to:
Blue Badge Team
East Sussex County Council
3rd Floor St Mary’s House
52 St Leonard’s Road
Eastbourne BN21 3UU
How long it takes
We aim to process applications quickly. Delays of 8 to 10 weeks can occur if you do not send the correct documents or need further assessment.
After we receive payment, your application will be submitted to the national issuing office for processing.
Keeping you informed
If you apply online and supply us with a current email address, you'll be kept updated about the progress of your application.
If you know your application number, you can check the progress of your application online by using the digital assistant on the right-hand side of the Blue Badge website pages. This automated service is available 24 hours a day.
Please note, the digital assistant will only appear on the Blue Badge website pages if you say yes to cookies for communications and marketing - check your cookie settings.
How to take photos
If you are unable to get to a photo booth, you can take a photo using a mobile, tablet or digital camera.
Follow the advice on how to take a good photo for your Blue Badge.
What to do if you are not sure about eligibility
When you apply online you'll be asked questions to check that you are eligible for a Blue Badge. Based on your answers, you may be told that you are not eligible.
If you still think you are, please email us at: BlueCarBadge@eastsussex.gov.uk
Contact the Blue Badge team
To get in touch with us:
Change of address
If you have moved then you can email us with your new address:
The address is held on file so you do not need to return your badge.
You can also write to us at the address above.
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.