1. Home
  2. Adult social care and health
  3. Caring for someone
  4. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for unpaid carers (non-resident)

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for unpaid carers (non-resident)

Public Health England advise unpaid carers to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) if they are looking after friends or relatives in a different household. This advice is not mandatory.

If you are an unpaid carer who does not live with the person you look after, you can now apply for free personal protective equipment to be used in your caring role.

This includes:

  • surgical masks
  • disposable aprons and gloves

Who is eligible?

To apply, you must be a resident of East Sussex County Council and provide essential unpaid care to a family member or friend who lives in a different household. This person cannot cope without your support due to:

  • an illness or a medical condition
  • frailty
  • a disability
  • a mental health condition
  • a substance misuse problem

Unpaid care includes delivering personal care and help with chores such as washing, cooking, shopping, and cleaning.

Application form

If you need help to complete this form, contact Care for the Carers on 01323 738 390 or email: info@cftc.org.uk.