Getting advice about money
Independent financial advice
Talking to a specialist independent financial adviser can help you to understand your funding options, especially if you are thinking about paying for long-term care and support.
You could find independent financial advice helpful if you:
- already live in a care home and pay for your care from your income and savings
- are acting as an attorney or deputy and looking after someone else’s financial affairs
- think you are likely to need care and support in the future, for example, due to a long-term health condition
Choosing an independent financial adviser
There are lots of independent financial advisers out there, and it may seem difficult to work out who is right for you. As well as making sure that you use someone who is registered with the Financial Conduct Authority, you might want to consider the following:
- Someone accredited with the Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA). SOLLA-registered financial advisers go through a training and accreditation process, and are specialists in planning ahead for later life – even if you are still regarded as young. Visit the SOLLA website and find a adviser online.
- Independent financial advice covers lots of different areas, and an adviser who specialises in care fees may understand more about the situation that you are in, and will be able to offer more tailored advice. Most financial advisers will state if they have any specialist areas of knowledge, and you can check this with SOLLA as well.
What to do next
If you would like an assessment of your care and support needs, or if you look after someone and would like support, you should contact Adult Social Care.
You can also contact us if you are worried about someone else.
If you have particular questions about your situation, a good start is to contact your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau.
Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) in East Sussex:
- For the Crowborough, Eastbourne, Hailsham, Hastings, Lewes, Seaford and Uckfield areas call 0344 411 1444
- For the Rother area call 01424 215 055
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.