Apply for a secondary school place
You can apply for a secondary school in East Sussex from 12 September 2021. Before you start, read our guidance.
Find the right school
To help you decide where to apply, you should find out as much as you can about individual schools. For example, think about:
- how we allocate places
- how your child will get to and from school
- the school's community area. You can also email your address to firstname.lastname@example.org to see which school(s) serve your home address
See Apply for a school place 2022 to 2023 for more guidance.
How school admissions work
You will need to apply for a place at the school you would like your child to attend – it doesn’t happen automatically.
You can name up to 3 different schools. Listing more than one:
- won’t affect your first preference – we always offer the highest we can
- will increase your chances of an offer at a school you prefer.
See how places are offered to find out what is and isn’t taken into account.
Applying during the school year
If you have moved house or want to switch schools, you can apply for a school place during the academic year.
Applying from overseas
In most cases, foreign national children in the UK have the right to attend schools in England.
See Applications for overseas children before applying.
When to apply
- Apply online from 12 September 2021
- The deadline for applying is 31 October 2021
What happens if you apply late
If you apply after the closing date, we will not be able to deal with the application until we have processed all on time applications. This may affect your chances of securing a preferred school.
If you move into the area after the closing date you should apply for a school place as soon as possible. If you send us evidence of your house move at the same time we may be able to consider this application as being on-time. We must receive your form and evidence by 31 January 2022.
If you apply after this date there is likely to be a delay in our response.
See Late applications.
When you'll find out
- National offer day: 1 March 2022
- Appeal hearings: June and July 2022
- Induction days: summer term 2022
Find out what happens after you have applied.
For help to complete the form, ask:
- your local school
- your local library: find your nearest library
- email the Admissions and Transport team
- call 0300 3309472. Lines are open from 10am to 3pm Monday to Friday
The easiest way to apply for a secondary school place in East Sussex is online.
If you are new to the system, you will need to create an account to get started. You can save your progress and sign into your school account at any time.
When you submit your application we will send you an email to confirm receipt.
If you can’t apply online
Please contact the Admissions and Transport team for a paper application or download a copy below. Complete your form and send it to:
Admissions and Transport Team
St Anne’s Crescent
Lewes BN7 1UE
Phone: 0300 33 09 472 between 10am to 3pm Monday to Friday
Email: Admissions and Transport team
If we receive more than one application for the same child before the closing date, we will use the latest application submitted.
East Sussex schools application form [346.1 KB] [pdf]
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.