Applying for a disabled person's bus pass
Companion bus pass
If you are disabled and need help to travel, you can apply for a companion pass. The pass has a C+ in the top right corner. allows someone to travel with you free of charge. For full details on the use of this pass see Using a companion pass.
How to apply for a companion C+ bus pass
You will need to tick to confirm you are applying for a companion on the form. Then provide proof which can be:
- Proof that you are registered, or entitled to be registered, as blind or severely sight impaired
- A DLA showing middle or higher rate care
- A PIP award with:
- 12 points for the "Moving around activity"
- 10 points or more for the “Planning and following a journey” activity
- Higher point scores for daily living activities such as
- “Communicating verbally”
- “Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words”
- “Engaging with other people face to face”
- A specialist’s opinion from someone independent who understands your medical condition. The proof must indicate why you need a companion on transport for example:
- Physical Assistance on to or off the bus
- 24/7 attendance due to your condition
- Assistance in planning or managing the journey
- Assistance in identifying the correct bus
If you are applying online please tell us you would like a companion bus pass. You can do this by:
- telling us on the proof you provide
- by emailing us after you have applied
We will not automatically issue a companion bus pass unless requested.
Please note that all our disability specific evidence forms allow a professional to confirm the need for a companion.