Applying for a disabled person's bus pass

Companion bus pass

If you are disabled and need help to travel, you can apply for a companion pass. The pass has a C+ in the top right corner. allows someone to travel with you free of charge. For full details on the use of this pass see Using a companion pass.

How to apply for a companion C+ bus pass

You will need to tick to confirm you are applying for a companion on the form. Then provide proof which can be:

  • Proof that you are registered, or entitled to be registered, as blind or severely sight impaired
  • A DLA showing middle or higher rate care

  • A PIP award with:
    • 12 points for the "Moving around activity"
    • 10 points or more for the “Planning and following a journey” activity
    • Higher point scores for daily living activities such as
      • “Communicating verbally”
      • “Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words”
      • “Engaging with other people face to face”
  • A specialist’s opinion from someone independent who understands your medical condition. The proof must indicate why you need a companion on transport for example:
    • Physical Assistance on to or off the bus
    • 24/7 attendance due to your condition
    • Assistance in planning or managing the journey
    • Assistance in identifying the correct bus

If you are applying online please tell us you would like a companion bus pass. You can do this by:

  • telling us on the proof you provide
  • by emailing us after you have applied

We will not automatically issue a companion bus pass unless requested.

Please note that all our disability specific evidence forms allow a professional to confirm the need for a companion.